What contribution did seafarers make to developmen
- Skills gained in seamanshipto defeat the Armada
- They helped the England become the greatest maval seapower by the end of Elizabeth's reign
- Increased the countries wealth through spanish treasure ships: slave trade and trading sugar etc
- Improved trade links to Americas, Europe and around the Mediterranean
- Provided employment for sailors, trades, ships builders, textile workers, etc
- Increased nation pride and increased security of the country
1 of 5
Who was Sir Francis Drake?
- Drake was a successful sailor who circummnavigated (sailed around) the world 1577-1580
- He did it for fame and glory and to make a fortune. He also did it to revenge an attack by the spanish on Hawkin's ship in Mexican harbour.
- Drake sailed with 5 ships including his own, the GOLDEN HIND. He faced a number of dangers on a route including mutiny. The ringleader a man named Doughty was excuted.
- Drake retured with a fortune most of which went to Elizabeth but Drake was well rewarded and Knighted
- Drake helped defeat the Armada in 1587
2 of 5
Why did English men go on voyages of discovery?
- It was a job in times of great unemployment.
- They hoped to make a fortune.
- Many sailors wanted personal glory, fame and adventure.
- The belief they were spreading Christianity to the "savages" to make Britian a great country and to explore new lands.
3 of 5
What Problems did sailors face?
- Being away from home for long periods of time
- Weather & storms-shipwreck
- Rotton foos or running out of food.
4 of 5
Why were Voyages of explortion so important??
- Wealth and trade
- Power and glory
- New colonies
- Better knowledge of the world
- Better navy
- Improved nagigation
5 of 5