- Ancient Greek father of medicine
- Developed theory of the FOUR HUMOURS
-Encouraged people to look natural rather than supernatural causes + treatments
- Encouraged observaion + recording of symptoms
- wrote books ' the hippocratic corpus'
- Surgeon -Doctor to Roman emperor
- Carried out public experimentations eg. pig experiment proved brain not heart controlled body
- Introduced theory of opposites
- Wrote books that were used for medical training for next 1500
- His ideas approved by christian church
- Made mistakes as a result of dissecting animals not humans
- Proved that blood flows around the body
- Proved that the heart acts as a pump
- Also used experiment to prove his theory and explained why other doctors were wrong.
- Proved that Galen was wrong in his ideas about the heart and the human jaw bone.
- Wrote ' The Fabric of the Human Body'
- Taught doctors the importance of challenging Galens ideas and dissecting human bodies.
- Army Surgeon
- Having run out of oil on the battlefield, he made his own ointment to heal wounds. To stop the bleeding he used silk ligatures rather than cauterisation.
- he found that his ointment healed wounds better than the boiling oil.
- Also developed false limbs
MANY DOCTORS OPPOSED OF HIS METHODS, TIME CONSUMING + INFECTION --- GERM THEORY NOT YET ABOUT!!