Corfu and french occupation of the ruhr
- Mussolini occupied the island of cofru in 1923 after the murder of an italian diplomat.
- He demanded financial conpensation and an apology.
- The league demanded the money be given to them instead.
- Mussolini overturned this and recieved the money and the apology. THIS MADE THE LEAGUE LOOK WEAK
FRENCH OCCUPATION OF THE RUHR
- Germany failed to keep up with the reperation payments.
- France invaded and occupied the ruhr (industrail region) in germany in 1923.
- The league didn't do anything
- usa helped solve the situation with the dawes plan
- france withdrew in 1925
1 of 2
manchuria and abyssinia
- japan controlled the machurian railway. in 1931 they used an excuse of a disturbance to send troops to invade the rest of manchuria.
- they pretended to give them independence by giving them a weak leader that they could control.
- LON send lord lytton to assess the situation. he produced the lytton report which said the japanese were wrong
- the league did nothing lol
- First major challenge for league; the whole world saw it fail to confront the japanese
- Japan refused to accept the lytton report and left the league in 1933, japan continued to invade.
- Hitler and mussolini saw these weaknesses in the league
- mussollini turned italy into a dictatorship. (mussolini was on britain and fracnes side at the beginning (1930's))
- reasons why... italians wanted revenge for a previous war, abyssinia was well positioned to add to their collection of countries, mussolini saw that japan got away with manchurian crisis so the LON weren't a big d
- october 1935, mussolini sent troops to invade
- abyssinian leader appealed to league for h.e.l.p
- the league banned economic sanctions (restrictions upon international trade) but delayed banning oil exports because they were scared usa wouldn't support.
- they didn;t close the suez canal to itlalys ships so supplies got through anyway oops.
- may 1936, all of abyssinia was conquered.
- the league looked inefective and their reputation was embarrasing.
- mussolini then became more confident and started making pacts with hitler.
2 of 2