Successes - Political
- The Soviet regime had extended it's political contol over the countryside, through management of the collective farms.
- Peasants could no longer resist the regime or hold it to ransome.
- Collectivisation had reinforces Stalin's control within the USSR and over the Communist Party.
- Bukharin and Rykov lost power and influence as their faction was destroyed.
- Collectivisation moved the USSR towards Stalin's version of Socialism.
- Class differences in the countryside were abolished and capitalism was destroyed.
1 of 6
Successes - Social/Ideological
- There was a heavier industrial presence in the USSR.
- Collectives offered more education and literacy rates vastly improved.
- The agricultural sacrifice had produced industrial gain.
- 'It was a terrible struggle but absolutely necessary' Stalin to Churchill
- The process controlled and transformed the peasant population.
2 of 6
Successes - Economic
- The state was able to secure grain through grain procurement.
- After 1932, farmers on collective farms could sell produce from thier private plot.
- The Motor Tractor Stations provided new machinery to collect grain faster and more efficiently.
- 17 million peasants had moved to the towns to become labourers by 1937.
3 of 6
Failures/Criticisms - Political
- Stalin's credability was slightly undermined through the backtrack after the 'Dizzy with success' speech.
4 of 6
Failures/Criticisms - Social/Ideological
- 7 million Kulaks were eliminated, and there was a population imbalance between rural and industrial areas.
- There was a sense of bettrayal or hoatility towards to leaders.
- The best, most successful farmers (Kulaks) and thier expertise were killed or exiled.
- 'Collectivisation was, in effect, a civil war unleashed by the Party on the peasant population' Alan Wood.
5 of 6
Failures/Criticisms - Economic
- Production fell dramatically, causing a famine.
- Inefficient farming methods were still in place.
- By 1953 the number of livestock had recovered from the mass slaughters in 1928.
6 of 6