- In the year 43 the romans invaded Britain.
- In 410 the FRoman Empire collapses and the anglo saxons rule till 1066.
Throughout the period the were 2 key aims:
In this period women were inferior to men so their punishments were usually harsher.
There was no police force and many crimes were due to food shortages and many poor people.
Centurion Leader of 100 men in battle
Centralised Power Power focused in the middle
If one was robbed they would take the suspect to the local centurion who, based on evidence given by the victims, would decide if the suspect was guity or innocent or should go to court.
Examples of crimes and punishments:
- Minor Crimes (petty theft) --> flogging, beating, finanical penalties, amputation of limbs
- Major Crimes (mugging) --> amputation of limbs
- Serious Crimes (murder, slander) --> execution, excile
- Most Serious Crimes (not accepting Emperor's authority) --> exection by crucifixion, become a gladiator
Punishments varied depending on gender, wealth, evidence and who committed the crime. They also allowed people to pray to their own G-d/s but they had to worship the emperor. It they refused there were severe conseqence.