- Created by: Daniel Wright
- Created on: 26-05-12 12:46
Treaty of Versailles
- Germany could not have any airforce or submarines
- Germany's army was limited to 100,000
- Germany could not keep any troops nor weapons in the Rhineland
- Polish corridor given to Poland
- Rhineland Demiliterised
- The Saar given to the league of nations
Blame for defeat
- Blamed Goverment for signing treaty
- Goverment accused of 'stabbing Germany in the back'
Threats to the Weimar Goverment
- Their rebellion was crushed within four days
- German capital came to a halt becuase workers striked
- in the end Kapp and his followers gave up and fled to Berlin
Invasion of the Ruhr
- French and Belgium troops sent to the Ruhr
- German economy halted
Threats to Weimar Goverment continued...
- Prices rose every half an hour in shops
- Savings became worthless
- Many starved as they could not afford food or fuel
- Famous story of man stealing wheelbarrow rather than the money inside because the wheelbarrow was worth more.
- Rentenmark replaces old currency
- Dawes Plan- borrowed money from the Americans
- Young Plan- reduces reperations
Munich Putsch- 1923
Plan- Capture Munich and march on Berlin
8th November- Hitler forces Bavarian goverment to support him at gunpoint, leader reluctant and alerts the police and the army.
9th Novemeber- Confrontation between Hitler's party and the army/ police involving weapons
Result- plan fails, and Hitler is arrested and imprisoned
How did Hitler become chancellor
Impact of the Wall Street Crash
- Millions lost their jobs
- Many homeless
- Many feel let down by the goverment
Nazis Gain support
- 1932- Hilter loses in an election against Hindenburg 13 million to 19 million but shows the Nazis gaining support.
Change from Democracy to Dictatorship
- Staged by the Nazis?
- Hitler blames the communist
- Happens just after Hitler becomes Chancellor, Coincidence?
Enabling Act 1933
- Hitler needed 2/3 of Reichstag support to pass it
- Hitler told the SA to intimidate to gain more votes
- Hitler expelled the communist memebers of the Reichstag
- Act passed and Hitler able to rule for four years without Reichstag
Knight of the Long Knives
- German army saw the SA as enemy and would not support Hitler
- Hitler makes a deal with the army and has around 400 SA executed
Change from Democracy to Dictatorship continued...
Propaganda and Cencorship
- Newspapers- were cencored, only allowed print favourable stories about the Nazis
- Radio- controlled by the goverment- had to be favourable to the Nazis
How far did people benefit from Nazi rule?
- Men aged between 18-25 had to serve the corps for six months
- Umeployed built big projects like schools and roads ( e.g. autoban)
- Hitler reveals the three k's (Children, Kitchen, Church)
- Hitler knows that German women are needed to produce ' the perfect race'
- Many women are happy with the three k's and their way of living