Fear of communism
- Red scare - the fear of communism spreading in to the US by immagrants for the eastern Europe.
- The enemy within - Truman believed their were spys i the US - 1952
- The FBI - Anti-communists investigated people in the government employees to seek communist members
- The Hollywood Ten - Ten writers put in prison for not answering the question 'have you ever been part of the communist part?'
Hiss and Rosenburgs
- Hiss was a spy, worked in the supreme court judge, was interigated by Nixon and their was evidence of copied documents to prove he was. Hiss was scentenced tp 5 years - 1950
- Married couple, acuused of being spys and givin the soviets important US documents, arrested and tried guilty and executed in 1953
McCarty accused people pf being communist, but when he started acusing the president and army, his claims were unfound. He lost his chairmanship of the state
Effects of McCarthism:
- Climateof fear
- Anyone seeng political change was seen as communist
- Hatred of communism never died away
NAACP and CORE
NAACP (National Associastion for the Advancement of Coloured People)
- Founded in 1909 by leadingblack intellectuals, to ensure the political educational, social and economic equality of rights of all person, and eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination
- 50,000 in 1940 to 450,000 by 1945.
CORE (Congress of Racial Equality)
- Founded in 1942 by James Farmer, young black activists inspired by non-activist tactics.
The Jim Crow Laws
- To segregrate blacks from whites, If facilities were equal then segregation was constitutional.
Brown vs Sopea Board of education - 1954
- Some areas became un segregrated, however the KKK re-emerged. 300,000 black children attended a segregrated school
Little Rock high school - 1957
- It was a demonstration that civil rights was an issue that can be no longe inored. it was seen on tv and newspapers, many saw the racial hatred.
Montgomery Bus Boycott
- Claudette Colvin and Rossa Parks refused to give up their seats on the bus - 1955.
- The NAACP encouraged others to boycott, 20000 people got involved
- Sit wherever on buses
- Showed solidarity could win
- NAACP made lega case