- Created by: 4BB13
- Created on: 27-09-19 12:23
Elizabethan Poor Law: 1601
- Provided relief to the poor and needy.
- Parish Officials set the poor rate.
- In the 19th century the poor law was seen as failing due to the mobile population.
- Napoleonic Wars - poor law was criticised due to the emergency measures used during the war.
Reliance on the Parish
- Showed greater snesitivity to the poor.
- Disitinguished between the poor and not poor.
- Created diversity.
- Overseers didn't want to help the poor, because they didn't want to pay taxes.
Types of poor people
Deserving Poor - These were the people who deserved to have poor relief, beucase they were poor due to no fault of their own. E.G. Children, old and the sick.
Undeserving Poor - THese were the people who didn't deserve poor relief, becuase they were poor due to their own immoral acts. E.G. Prostitutes and alcoholics.