- Friend of Henry VIII
- Lord Chancellor in 1529
- More didn't like the control Henry had over the church and tried to retire from public life. Henry felt he was deserting hum in his hour of need
- Refused to take the oath of Supremacy. Passive resisted
- Executed in 1535
1 of 5
Holy Maid of Kent
- Holy Maid of Kent - Elizabeth Barton
- Had visions, predicting Henry VIII would fall from power if he tried to divorce Catherine.
- Immediately she was arrested, forced to swear her visions were a hoax
- Was executed in 1534
2 of 5
Carthusian and Franciscan Monks
- Critised Henry's treatment of Catherine and the Pope
- Both orders were well respected and leading figures in sociey regularly visted them
- Franciscnas were united against Henry and so were imprisoned in 1534
- War of attrition against the Carthusians, trying to force them to submit.
- Both were dissolved in 1539
3 of 5
- Bishop of Rochester
- Supported the power of the Pope, Catherine of Aragon and the Holy Maid of Kent
- Arrested and then was released
- Refused to swear an oath accepting Henry's divorce to Catherine. Fisher was then re-arrested.
- The Pope made him a Cardinal . Fisher was tired for treason and executed in 1534
4 of 5
Opposition for Abroad
- Henry feared invasion from Catholic Europe.
- Saw the power Catherine held over the Church as a huge threat
- Henry forced Catherine to denounce Mary as illegitmate and therefore, no longer heir to the throne.
5 of 5