Francis I : New French King
- 1514 Louis XII died.
- Francis I takes over- aiming for gory and success.
- Victory 1515 Battle of Marignano (gains Milan) overshadows Henry's 1513 successes.
- Signs Treaty of Noyon (1516) with new Spanish King Charles- Henry's dream squashed.
1 of 4
Anglo- Frech treaty 1518
- Tournai and Therouanne returned.
- compensation of £21,000 to Wolsey.
- Pension of £600,000 paid in annual instalments of £10,000.
- Wernham "A considerable success"
2 of 4
Treaty of London 1518
- participants to live peacefully together.
- no aid or asylum to rebels.
- crusade against the turks.
- war---> a month
- Richard Fox to Wolsey "Best deed that was ever done for the realm of England."
- Placed Britian at forfront of European affairs.
3 of 4
Imperial elections, H. & W. as peacemakers
- Henry considered, Charles V elected.
- friction between Charles and Francis.
H & W as peacemakers
- May 1520 Charles V visited H. at Canterbury.
- June 1520 Field of Cloth of Gold (Francis)
- July 150 Charles met H. at Gravelines. unsure of war.
- August 1521 3 all met. Charles more condifent.
4 of 4