- Created by: Anna Thomson
- Created on: 24-03-09 14:43
HIV global distribution
· Africa is the worst affected region where in some countries one in five adults are living with AIDS.
· Lack of Education and the hot climate is causing a rising number of AIDS cases in Asia - 7.8 million cases in South and South East Asia.
· Unprotected sex is causing many to contract AIDS in the Carribean - 250 000 cases of AIDS in 2006.
· Latin America has 1.7 million people living with AIDS - the use of anti-retroviral drugs to fight AIDS has been
AIDS impact on health
· Additional pressure on hospitals (in Africa AIDS patients take up ½ of all hospital beds).
· High medical cost (US$30 for each AIDS patient per year)
· AIDS orphans cannot access health care because they have to provide for siblings
· Reduced healthcare workforce because they all have AIDS or have emigrated (40% of the midwives In Zambia are themselves HIV positive).
AIDS impact on economics
· Cost of healthcare is expensive
· Increased extreme poverty (% of world in extreme poverty will rise from 45% in 2000 to 51% in 2015)
· Economically active people are worst affected so reduction in work force and GNP etc. (14% of companies in Botswana are suffering).
· Agricultural work is neglected which can lead to poverty.
AIDS impact on Lifestyle
· Few household resources because no income
· Break down of families
· Children are pulled out of school
· People prevented from working through illness or because they are looking after others
· Death of family membersn (funeral costs).