Hitler's Early life - 1
- Hitler was born in Austria, in Braunau, which was a small town in Austria.
- His younger brother died at the age of 6.
- Adolf was at first bright and clever, but after his brother died he turned rebeliious.
- His father was a customs officer and wanted Hitler to follor in his footsteps, and so he would physically and mentally abuse him.
- Hitler failed school, leaving at the age of 16 and leaving his home at 18 to live in Vienna, the capital of Austria.
- He applied for the Arts Academy there twice and failed to get in both times.
- He ended up in a hostel for the homeless, scraping a living by painting postcards.
- During his 5 years in Vienna, he became interested in politics.
- He supported nationalist parties, demanding better wages, conditions and right to vote for workers.
- He also grew to hate foreigners, especially the Jews.
1 of 2
Hitler's Early life - 2
- Hitler had a soft spot for his mother, and carried a photo of her everywhere when she died of breast cancer at the age of 48.
- He dodged army service during peacetime, but in 1914 he was 'infected' by 'war fever'.
- He served the German army and proved to be a brave soldier-he carried messages accross trenches which was a very dangerous job to do.
- He won 6 medals for bravery, including the Iron Cross, 1st Class, which was the best medal a soldier could get.
- However, he never got above the rank of a corporal.
2 of 2