- Created by: xprinnyx
- Created on: 27-02-19 21:02
G R O U P 7
- The elements in group 7 are non-metals called the halogens.
- Their halogens show trends in their physical and chemical properties.
p h y s i c a l properties
- CHLORINE,Cl2-pale green, gas
- BROMINE,Br2-brown, liquid
- IODINE, I2-purple-black, solid
- the melting points and boiling points of the halogens increase going down group 7.
- the molecules become larger
- more energy is needed to overcome these forces
c h e m i c a l properties
- halogens have 7 electrons in their outer shell which means that they all have similar chemical properties
- reaction with metals- they react with metals to produce salts eg. sodium + chlorine→ sodium chloride
- the halogens become less reactive going down the group.
- a more reactive halogen can displace a less reactive halogen from solutions of its salts. eg. chlorine is more reactive than iodine. A solution of chlorine can displace iodine from a potassium iodine solution solution=chlorine+potassium iodide→potassium chloride + iodine
1 of 1