- Created by: joel mckay
- Created on: 09-05-14 19:51
- presentation of self in every day life
- impression management
- examines everyday ritual of good manners - interaction rituals
- see it as modern world we have started realy worshipping the self and the interaction rituals are all about this worship.
1 of 3
Natur of Deference and Demeanour:
- Says he calls the everday exercise of politness ritual because he is borrowing from Durkheim on primitive religion
- need others to help you if there is to be any evidence outside your own head that you have a unique self.
- have to behave towars them in a way which suggest you have a unique self (your demeanour)
- also they have to behave towards you as if you had a unique self (show deference)
- your opinion of self depends on others being civil to you, treating you properly.
- our society has a moral order and this order has rules and its important, rules are observed.
- that is what the ceremony does - gives opportunity to observe rule that keep society going 'constantly reminding the individual that he must keep himself together as a well demeaned person and affirm the sacred quality of other'
2 of 3
- "something unusual or bad about the moral status of the signifier"
- 'disqualified from social acceptance'
- dont fit categories or attributes that go with normal expectations of person we encounter.
3 of 3
Similar Sociology resources: