God the Creator
- The creation stories in Genesis are attributed to Moses.
- Genesis 1+2 both tell different stories.
But, both focus on the origins of humanity not why things exist.
- Genesis 1: World was created by God in 6 days( with an extra for rest).
- Genesis 2: Looks at the creation of humanity.
BOTH SHOW GOD IN RELATION TO HUMANITY
Other stories such as "PanKu" and "Maori" focus on the creation of humanity.
- Preistly source.
- World created "ex nihlo"- "in the beginning God craeted the heavens and the earth"
- Not reshaping pre-existing matter. - reason for existance like Prime mover.
- God is seperate to creation- transendent.
- "ex nihlo"- popular idea in Judeao-Chrisitan beliefs- matches Gods omnipotence.
- Problems in science: e.g Higgs Boson particle. - How can something come from nothing.
- Augustine suggest time created when world was "in the beginning".
- Yahew source, influenced by Babaloyan myths.
- God re-orders pre-existing matter.
- Creates animals: "formed out of the ground all of the animals".
- Genesis may just be wisdom literature like the psalms. - so myth like.
God the creator: rest of the Bible
Comparison to prime mover:
- Primemover doesnt iteract.
- God- Yahweh monothestic creator who interacts with humanity: "be fruitful and multiply".
- Job: "where were you when I laid the foundations of Earth?"
- Psalms 95: "his hands formed dry land"
- Nehemiah: God "made the heavens.. the earth and all thats on it".
Goodness of God
The Bible presents God as good at everything:
- "They will celebrate your abundent goodness"- Psalm (145: 7-9)
- "For the Lord is good and his love endures forever"- Psalm (100:5)
God is good through creation:
- Genesis 1: everything God makes is "very good".
God can be viewed as thorugh the abundance of the Earth.
Goodness of God: form of good, not so good
Contrast between Plato's form of good and goodness of God:
- form of good is only a concept
- God of the Bible is concerned with humanity. (gives them the 10 commandments).
God of the OT can be jealous and angry- destruction of Ai.
- Dawkins: "encourage a system if morals which any civilised modern person.. woudl find... obnoxious"
- Example: Abrahams son
- But, Aquinas belived God wasn't good in the same way as humans- this would limit his powers.
- By Euthyphro- made known by Plato.
- Is something morally good because God commands it, or does God command it because it is good?
Good because God commands it:
- Divine command theroy
- what if God was to command ****?
- Some would say he wouldnt command this.
- but, this would suggest that soemthing is wrong in the actions or God has a limit on his powers.
God commands it because it is good:
- suggests that their is an external mesaure of goodness which God is also subject to.