God the creator
The Judaeo- Christian concept of believe God causes the universe to exist.
- God is responsible for the universe coming into existence and existing at every moment.
- 'In the begining God created the heavens and the earth'. Genesis 1:1.
- Belief in God centres around God creating the Earth.
- In the story, God's 'breath' moves over the earth and shapes it.
- God commands there is light, darkness, sun, stars, moon, fish in the sea, birds in heven, animals on land and people.
- God brings all to being.
Genesis 2- God creates people- Adam and Eve.
- God walks in the 'cool garden' and this gives God anthromorphic quality
- In Isiah, God is transcendent from us as he is described as having the power to reduce princes to nothing. This shows God has control.
God the Craftsman & place in creation
God the Creator is compared to a craftsman and this is seen in Job 38 where God is described as a designer who laid the very foundations of the Earth, decided its dimensions and supported the pillars on what the Earth stands.
- God is pictured as being in control of the sun and moon and responsible for existence
- In Genesis 2, God is making Adam from dust is likened to a potter shaping clay, which gives athromorphic quality
- God is in control when he banishes Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden
Creatio ex Nihlo- is good for Christians as it fits in with the big bang theory
Human beings place in creation
- Humans are superior in creation
- Humans are at the top of hierachy and God gives humans a privelleged place in the world.
- Gensis 2 is specifically concerned about the place of human beings.
- Belief in God the creator is that he puts humans in charge of creation.
- 'Made in the image of God' indicates rationality and the prospect God is like a human
Genesis can be seen literally or as a myth
- Remember the universe in 4.5 billion years old
- There is a chance Genesis orginated from Syrian origin
The Omniqualities of God
- Omnipotence- 'Have you an arm like God' God's power works creation. Aquinas says this is doing anything logically possible.
- Omniscence- All knowing like the limitless power of God
- Omnipresent- Liked to omnipotent and omniscence. Job says God is everywhere, from the gates of death to the animals and stars
- Unique- completely different. The Bible is not interested in explaining why concepts are like this
- Other explanations than God
- Theists say God can not be compared to a car designer, God has made natural laws which is a reason to why earthquakes exist.
- Scientific approaches say the universe exists as a fact, it has nothing to do with God.
- The problem of evil is also a factor- why doesen't God interefere?