- Ring on Maximus's finger - shows that he is devoted to his wife(marriage)
- The Children laughing - shows his son is always on his mind
- The change in the way Commodus looks as the movie progresses shows an increase on how 'mental' he is turning (whiter face, darker eyes)
1 of 8
- Caption at the beginning of the movie - gives you a background on where the movie is set.
- Captions when entering Zucchabar shows where Maximus is heading off too.
- When Maximus falls asleep in Spain and wakes up in Zucchabar it fades into black as if he is sleeping.
2 of 8
- Snow and Robins in winter shows that Germany is cold and like Winter
- The sun shows that it's sunny and that there is a change in weather conditions.
- The Romans are dressed in uniform
- The Gladiators are tall, tanned and muscly.
3 of 8
Denotation and Connotation
- The ring on Maximus's finger shows of his devotion to his wife and Marriage
- The Red Robin is associated with Winter and Christmas
- Wearing his wedding ring and the focus on it shows his commitment to his marriage
- Robins only appear throughout Winter therefore it must be winter when a Robin is shown.
4 of 8
- Fast music through Maximus's journey heading to Spain shows of the rush he is in to get there.
- There are bright colours when Maximus dies and finally gets back to his family
- There is a typical genre of music playing when Maximus reaches Zucchabar
- The Captions at the beginning of the movie help set the scene.
5 of 8
- The genre is an action/thriller with slight specks of romance briefly between Maximus and his wife
- There are obvious shows of Genre throughout the film
6 of 8
- The marriage and devotion - adds some reality to the film
- The conotations give some background on the movie
7 of 8
- The story is told from Maximus' point of view showing mainly his thoughts and feelings
- The story is given from Maximus's perspective
- The film is a disruption from the life Maximus used to and now wants to live but is now living a life he doesn't want to be living.
8 of 8