The DTM : Stage 1
Characteristics of stage 1 of the DTM:
- Small amounts of people live serarately with hardly any contact with the outside world.
- They have high birth rates due to a lack of contraception.
- They have high death rates due to lack of healthcare.
e.g. Tribes in parts of Indonesia, Brazil and Ecuador.
The DTM : Stage 2
Characteristics of stage 2 of the DTM:
- The death rate has lowered due to an increase in quality of healthcare.
- The birth rate remains high.
The DTM : Stage 3
Characteristics of stage 3 of the DTM:
- The birth rate drops rapidly.
- The death rate continues to decrease but not as quickly as in stage 2.
The DTM : Stage 4
Characteristics of stage 4 of the DTM:
- There is a low birth rate as healthcare has improved rapidly.
- The birth rate tends to fluctuate depending on the economic situation.
The DTM : Stage 5
Characteristics of stage 5 of the DTM:
- The birth rate is very low and goes below the death rate.
- More people are dying than being born so the population decreases.
- The death rate has increased slightly because of an ageing population.