An example of soft engineering is beach nourishment/replenshiment
The sand on the beach builds up and this is a natural way to absorb wave energy.
- Natural solution
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Expensive to keep replenishing frequently
- sediment is moved by longshore drift
- Most effectively used with other defences e.g a groyne
Examples of hard engineering are Gabions and groynes
Gabions- Cages of boulders, built into cliff faces. The rocks absorb the energy of the waves
- Cheaper than sea walls, effective where there are high erosion rates
- Ugly, found in large numbers
Groynes- Wooden structure that traps sediment moving via LSD, beach builds up>less erosion
- Stops LSD, beach builds up and there is less erosion
- Can increase sand starvation in other areas of the coast, leading to more erosion there.