- Created by: imogenchowings
- Created on: 26-04-15 13:59
Place detail: Irrawaddy delta, Burma
Date: May 2008
Cost of damage: $4 billion
- 450 000 houses destroyed
- 200 000 farm animals were killed, crops were lost, and 40% of food stores were destroyed
- 2-3 million were made homeless
- Millions of people lost their livelihood
Reasons for the bad impacts:
- There were no emergency or evacuation plans.
- The govermenment refused to accept aid at first and only let aid workers in 3 weeks after the disaster; meaning that more people died because of the lack of help.
Place detail: South east USA
Date: August 2005
Cost of damage: $300 billion
- 300 000 homes were destroyed
- A main route out of New Orleans was closed because the 1-10 bridge was destroyed
- Tens of thousends were made homeless.
- Took longer for aid and help to come because of the closed route meaning that injuries and deaths increased.
Reasons for the impacts:
- Mississippi and Louisiana declared states of emergency, meaning this set up control centres, and stocked up on supplies.
- The coastguard. police and fire service rescued over 50 000 people, reducing the number of people killed.