What? & Why?
An ageing population is where the birth rates are lower than the death rates.
- Meaning there are more elderly people than the young around
- Stage 5 in the Demographic Transition Model
An ageing population occurs because :
1. People are living older now
2. People have less time for children because they are looking after their older relatives
3. Women have a better position economically so they are now working etc. Meaning that they have less time for kids
4. Contraception is used more than it used to be
An ageing population, effects everyone in society, especially the working lot
- Taxes have to be raised as there are more pensions to be paid off
- Less money is spent on the economy, more spent on retirement
- People need to look after their older relatives, resulting in them having less free time
- Fewer kids in famillies, as they have no time for them
- People have to retire later to get by on State Pension
Managing an ageing population
Countries who suffer from an ageing population have come up with varies schemes to overcome it
- Encourage big famillies through money awards etc.
- Encourage immigration of young people
- NOT SUSTAINABLE
- Raising retirement age
- Raising taxes