Indian Ocean tsunami, 26th December 2004.
- The Indo Australian plate subducted under the Eurasian plate.
- Earthquake mesured 9.1 on the Richter scale.
- Wave travelled around the world three times.
- Tsunami wave travelling at 500mph/800kph.
- Highest wave of 25m came ashore.
- 220,000 died.
- 650,000 seriously injured.
- 2 million made homeless.
- Private and public buildings such as schools and hospitals destroyed.
- Some 1,500 settlements believed to have been wiped out completely in Banda Aceh.
1 of 2
- Polluted, standing water unable to drain away.
- Cases of cholera from polluted water.
- Increase in mosquito habitats.
- Increase in mosquito related malaria.
- Disease spread from dead bodies.
Short term/immediate responses.
- Rescue and emergency teams overwhelmed, but tried to help
2 of 2