Location: North-west England
It became a major tourist centre in the 19th century, especially for the inhabitants of northern industrial towns such as Manchester. Factory workers could increasingly afford a holiday, and travelled by train to the coast. Blackpool was most popular between 1900-1950.
However, as people's disposable income became larger, they preferred to go to other places with a package holiday.This created huge competition for Blackpool and other UK seaside resirts.
Fewer people visited Blackpool as a result. Blackpools summer weather is extremely unreliable which proved a major disadvantage
Butler Tourist Model
Blackpool Case Study follows the Butler Tourist Model :-
- Exploration - a small number of tourists visit the area. The area is unspoilt and few tourist facilities exist.
- Involvement - local people start to provide some facilities for tourists. There starts to become a recognised tourist season.
- Development - the host country starts to develop and advertise the area. The area becomes recognised as a tourist destination.
- Consolidation - the area continues to attract tourists. The growth in tourist numbers may not be a fast as before. Some tensions develop between the host and the tourists.
- Stagnation - the facilities for the tourists may decline as they become old and run down. The numbers of tourists may decline too.
- Rejuvenation - investment and modernisation may occur which leads to improvements and visitor numbers may increase again.
- Decline - if the resort is not rejuvenated (stage 6) then it will go into decline. People lose their jobs related to tourism. The image of the area suffers.
As one of the larger seaside resorts Blackpool attracted some private investment and local authority grants. Upgrades included:
- Turn outdoor pools into indoor leisure centers
- Increase car parking provision
- Upgrade hotels
- Smaller hotels were converted into self-catering holiday flats
Blackpool still relied on its different attractions:
- Blackpool tower – which provide amazing up and down the coastline
- Upgraded Zoo and Sea life center
- Blackpool Illuminations (light show)
- Free Wifi in the town centre
- World’s largest mirror ball
- Built new conference centre
- Comedy catch phrases on the pavement