Christian beleifs about the origin of the universe and humanity
1 of 6
- They believe that God created the universe and the first humans, Adam and Eve
- Quote: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.(Genesis)
- It says that everything was created in 6 days, and humans were created on the last day.
- They beleive that God created humans with souls and in the image and likeness of God.
- Quote: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."
- Some Christians take the story of creation literally, believing that they describe exactly how the universe and human beings were created.
- Other Christians regard them as parables or symbolic accounts that tell (in story form) the profound truth that God brought the universe and all that is in it into being. These Christians might look to science to help them understand how God did this.
2 of 6
Scientific ideas about the origin of the universe and humanity
3 of 6
- Scientists and Atheists support the ‘Big Bang’ Theory - 15 billion years ago, the universe was made when a huge explosion took place.
- Many Christians accept the Big Bang theory and see it as a way to understand how God brought the world into being.
- The Big bang theory does not disprove that God exsists.
- Charles Darwin's theory of Natural selection - that animals adapt to their environment because the best animals survived and the weakest died - therefore humans evolved from primitive organisms over billions of years.
- Some christians accept evolution and see the Bible as an authoritative account of God's relationship with human beings. They see it all as part of God's plan, and that humans have specials rights and responsibilities as a result.
- Some Christians don’t accept that humans have evolved from simple animals becuase mankind loses the special status God gave him. Man is no different to other animals. This challenges the Christian idea that human beings had souls and animals did not. If we don’t have a soul it is difficult to believe in a life after death.
4 of 6
The relationship between humanity and the environment
5 of 6
- Humans were put on this earth to act as stewards of the planet.
- We should take responsibility for the welfare of others.
- Quote - In the bible, God says, “let them have dominion over the fish and the sea, and over the birds in the air, and over the cattle, and over the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.’ (Genesis 1.26)
- Preserve and enhance it for future generations.
- We do not own the earth. It belongs to God, and one day we will be called to account for what we have done to it.
- Quote - “The earth belongs to the Lord and all that is in it.”
- We should not be greedy and take more from the planet than they need.
- E.g. destroying rainforests, pollution of atmosphere and the sea.
- Christians refer to the ‘Parable of the Steward’. In this parable three servants are given money to look after by their master. When he comes back, the third had buried the money and done nothing with it. He was punished. In a similar way, we will be held to account for the wealth we have been given – the earth and all it contains.
6 of 6