Christian beleifs about the soul
1 of 10
- A non-physical part of us with feelings and thought
- Is the real essence of a person
- Created by God
- It cannot be destroyed, immortal, eternal
- It leaves the physical body, when we die
- It reunites with God in heaven
- Quote: "God created Adam from the ground and breathed life into him" (Genisis 2:7)
- Described as the "breathe of life"
2 of 10
Christian Beleifs about
Life after Death
3 of 10
- It is eternal
- Begining of new life - flowers are used at funerals
- There is no marriage in heaven
- You will be rewarded by how you lived your life of earth
- God will judge us according to our faith and actions - Day of judgement
- Purgatory:cleansing of the soul, ready for heaven, a catholic beleif
- Salvation: God saves us by giving us a chance to be fogiven and enter heaven
- Life on earth is preparation for the next life
- Quote: "I will create new heavens and a new earth" (Isaiah)
- Quote: The sheep and the goats - "I was hungry and you....." (Matt 25)
- Atheists beleive this is the only life and our sould dies when we die.
- Hindu's believe in reincarnation - we come back as another animal depending on how we lived our life e.g a sinful person comes back as a cockroach.
4 of 10
Christian Beleifs about Heaven
5 of 10
- Eternal presence of God
- Description - light, singing, beauty, peace, rainbow, throne of God, perfect, awe, no evil or suffering or mourning
- People who have lives thier lives for God and with with love for others will enter heaven.
- Quote: "The wolf and the lamb will feed together.....but dust will be the serpents food. They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holr mountain"
- Quote: The sheep and the goats (Matt 25)
6 of 10
Christians Beliefs about Hell
7 of 10
- The church used to see it as eternal suffering and torture for non - beleivers
- Used fear of hell to encourage people to be christians
- Salvation Army: Tries to help others to save thier souls from damnation
- People who have sinned throughout thier life will be given the punishement of hell
- The absense of God for eternity
- Others beleive in Annahalation: When the soul is also destroyed when we die.
- Quote:"If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy that person, for God's temple is sacred and you together are that temple" (Corinthians 3)
- Quote: The Sheep and the goats - "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you didn't give me food to eat....."
8 of 10
9 of 10
- Bible Readings - readings on afterlife and eternal life
- Eulogy: Talk or speech, sharing of memories, acheivements, usually friend or family member
- Prayers: Said for friends and family, for God to support them and the dead people is entrusted to the care of God.
- Hymns: Hymns about eternal life will be sung
- Holy communion: Reminder of Christ at the last supper, He died for us to save our sins and gave us eternal life.
- Body is cremated or put in a coffin
- Flowers are used as a symbol of new life
- Candles are used to remind us of the holy spirit which is in everyone.
- Quote: "I am the resurrection and the life, He who beleives in me will live, even though he dies." (John 11)
- Quote: Beginning prayer - "Lord, thank you for the gift of life both now and when we die"
- Quote: "Father, into your hands we commend our brother/sister"
10 of 10