Tehran Conference, Iran 1943 1/3
- Attended by Churchill (UK), Roosevelt (USA) and Stalin (Russia)
- During WW2, so mainly about battle tactics etc.
- GB and USA agreed to open up 2nd Front
- USSR was to invade Japan after defeating Japan
- An area of E. Poland was to become Soviet property.
- WHEN they should invade Poland. Stalin believed that the UK and USA were waiting for the USSR to be severly damaged before opening 2nd Front.
- Churchill was supsicious of Stalin. Thought USSR troops would stay in liberated countries.
- Polish border - Stalin wanted some of Poland
- Effects on Relations between USA and USSR:
- Worsens relations as the disagreements increased distrust and suspicion between the countries.
1 of 2
Yalta Conference, Russia January 1945. 2/3
- Attended by Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin.
- Just before end of war, and Allies knew they were going to win.
- Met to discuss what to do with Germany after war.
- Division of Germany into 4 sectors (USA, French, USSR and British)
- To divide Berlin in same way.
- Liberated countries under Soviet protection and have free elections
- USSR would fight Japan
- How much USSR got in reparations. Stalin wanted a larger amount as Russia had lost the most.
- Poland - Stalin wanted Polish borders to be moved West.
- "Soviet-friendly" Polish government.
Effect on Relations: Worsened. USA and UK felt Stalin wanted control of Poland.
2 of 2