- To the inner core of the Earth it is 6370 km.
- There are two types of crust : 1.Continental crust forms the land which is mainly made of granite, which is a low density ignious rock. The continental crust is 30-35 km thick. 2. Under the oceans is the oceanic crust - usually 6-8 km thick. Its quite dense and made up of an igneous rock called basalt.
- The asthenosphere is the top layer of the mantle.
- The lithosphere is the uppermost layer of the Earth.
- the Earths lithosphere is split into 15 large techtonic plates and over 20 small ones.
- The plates move slowly on the assthenosphere.
- Plate boundaries are where the 'action' is. Most earthquakes and volcanos are found on plate boundaries.
- constructive plate boundaries - fromed when two plates move apart.
- Destructive plate boundaries - formed when two plates collide.
- Conservation plate boundaries- formed when two plates slide past each other.
1 of 1