Garibaldi's Early Career
- Born a French Citizen in Nice in 1807
- Joined the merchant navy at 15, following his fathers footsteps
- Was Inspired by Mazzini and the idea of unifying Italy
- Became involved in a Mazzinian plan in Piedmont in an army & navy mutiny attempt, however it failed and fled before he had the chance to be killed
- Sailed to South US, Rio De Janeiro where he stayed for a dozen years, joined a branch of 'Young Italy'
- Became a pirate preying on ships of the new world
- Joined a rebel army in Brazil
- Returned to Montevideo in Uraguay and sold spaghetti for awhile.
- Got bored and joined the army, defending Urugauy against the Argentinian takeover - raised a legion of guerilla fighters
- These became the 'red shirts' due to the red poncho clothing adopted from the slaughtermen Garibaldi had witnessed in america.
- Returned to Italy in 1848 due to hearing rumours of revolututions.
1 of 1