- Rich In-depth Data
- Unusual Behaviours can be explored
- Difficult to Generalise (each one has a unique characteristic)
- Theoretical bias may lead them to overlook aspects of their findings (LOW VALIDITY)
Gardners established a way to measure whether Washoe was using signs RELIABLY
3 OBSERVERS had to report seeing Washoe sign
- Record of Washoe's achievements made by researchers who knew her well (OBSERVER BIAS) --> may have biased their recordings
- Gardners have continued to conduct research with Chimpanzees and other apes--> cannot be generalised to other types of animal or specifics within a species ( everyone is individual)
Benefits sufficient enough to justify the costs?
- Greater Appreciation of the value of animals - If some animals can use human language they might be given human rights
- Removing an animals from its natural environment and requiring it to live its life in captivity
- Completing tasks that are 'Un-Natural'
Part of the process was engulfing Washoe directly into the human world (raising her as a human baby would be) IS THIS ETHICAL?