- Gene therapy involves the addition of a healthy, working copy of the faulty gene into the appropriate cells of the body.
- Gene therapy has the potential of not just treating the symptoms, but to correct any underlying condition.
- Gene therapy is a new approach to treat CF.
- A virus is used to deliver a normal copy of the CF gene to the lung cells of the patient.
- The patient uses an inhaler to take this.
- Once inside the lung cells, the normal CF protein is made.
1) The normal CF gene is placed inside the virus 2) The virus infects the cell 3) DNA enters the lung cell 4) The normal gene is expressed in the nucleus 5) The normal protein is made
1 of 2
Cloning in animals
2 of 2