- Created by: sarah cotter
- Created on: 05-04-11 11:49
Case Study - Little Hans 5year old boy
- Aim - Analysis for the purpose of his own research. Treat 'Little Hans' for his phobia.
- Description - Played with his penis(widdler) - Hans denied and said it was only in his dream - repression.
- Dreamt about wiping childrens bottoms - pleasure from anal stage of psychosexual.
- Wanted his dad to leave - wanted to be with his mother.
- Phobia - white horses whould bite him - represents father, jealous of his penis.
- Conclusion - Freud believed - evidence for psychosexual stages and gender development.
- Oedipus complex resolves Hans fantasising about having a bigger penis - wanted to be married to mother, his father the grandfather.
- emphisises unconscious wishes and urges - phobias.
- 'everyday fear' can hide unconscious motives.
1 of 2
Case Study Continued...
- Evaluation Strengths - case sutdy method was appropriate as in depth data was needed.
- used to treat phobias
- 'talking cure' 'listening cure' built upon from Freuds theories
- Evaluation Weaknesses - Hans father relayed most of the information to Freud.
- lost validity
- other explanations for fears of horses
- case study is only on one person - cant generalise
- subjective interpretation my be interpreted differently by others
- Frueds methods are not scientific because many concepts aren't tested ie: unconscious.
2 of 2