- Created by: emmalum
- Created on: 06-03-19 11:45
Hard determinism- Everything we do is already determined for us
Soft determinism- We have some degree of contol over our actions
Libertarianism- (free will) We have the freedom to make choices that will effect our lives
Predestination- God has already decided who is and who isn't going to heaven
Locke, Augustine and Calvin
- We have an illusion of freedom but our lives are really just determined for us
- The analogy of a man locked in a room. He believes he can enter and exit as he pleases and so chooses to stay in the room but in reality he has no choice.
- Humanity is a lump of sin 'una massa peccati' due to the stain of original sin
- Unless a human was chosen by God and pre-destined to go to heaven, then there is no way that they can achieve salvation
- Humans are quick to sin and believed in predestination, calling the chosen ones the 'elect' and the condemned ones the 'retrobates'
Pelagius and Arminius
- Irish monk
- God was good so he couoldn't have made people destined to go to hell before they even lived their lives.
- God has given us the freedom to choose between right and wrong
- Dutch theologian
- We can still earn the right to get into heaven despite being tainted by sin (partial depravity)