- Created by: jayde.zoe2000
- Created on: 14-02-19 11:55
Problems in defining crime
- Deviance involves breaking societies norms and values
- Crime involves breaking the law
- Issues with things like culture- crime is dealt with differently in all cultures. Making all research ethnocentric based on where the research was carried out
- Things differ like the age of crime is 10 in England and Wales while in Scotland it is 8 but is being raised to 12 and in most European countires it's 14.
- The definition of crime changes with time, hitting your child only became outlawed in 2004
1 of 4
Ways of measuring crime: official statistics
- Official statistics are gorvernment records and based on the crime reports of the past year. Published by the hime office annually.
- Official statistics lack validity (not all crime is reported like domestic violence against men is under reported)
- May lack reliability as some police forces don't record petty crimes like stealing something worth less than £10
- Only the number of criminal acts is counted and not the number of criminals as there may be few criminals that are comitting the majority of crime.
2 of 4
Ways of measuring crime: Victim surveys
- Crime Survey For England and Wales selects 50'000 homes to document any crimes they've endured in the past year
- Respondants may mix up the year a crime happened and write about a crime that happened a year prior (known as telescoping)
- Some people may not realise a crime has happened as they may think an item was misplaced rather than stolen
- However, these surveys may be higher in validity than official statistics as victims may be more liekly to report trivial offences as they may be something the police wouldn't have recorded.
3 of 4
Ways of measuring crime: Offender surveys
- Offender surveys- indiciduals volunterring mumber of crimes they have committed.
- Tend to target groups of likely offenders based on 'risk' factoes like age or backgorund.
- Lack validity as criminal may not be truthful about the true number or can't remember all of their crimes details.
- The dark figure of crime hampers all methods to meauring crime as not all crime is made public to the people.
- All mehtods with meauring crime have reliability and validity issues, a multidisciplinary approach may be better or combining all three to get the true statistic of crime.
4 of 4