A food chain shows what organisms eat- it shows the flow of food and energy from one orgainsim to the next.
Grass ----> Wildbeast ----> Hyena ----> lion
producer primary consumer secondary consumer
herbivore carnivore top canivore
(trophic level 1) (T2) (T3) (T4)
Food Chains 2
Producers - plants algea and bacteria- produce own food. ALLWAYS start a food chain.
Consumers- are organisms that eat other organisms
- Herbivores- animals that eat plants- ( primary consumers) Second link of food chain
- Carnivores - Animals eat other animals- ( secondary consumers) Third link in chain
-Top Carnivors- are animals that eat other carnivors
- Omnivors are animals that eat both animals and plants, and therefore are both primary and secondary consumers.
Food Chains 3
Detrital food chains
- Start with dead material or waste
( involve two other feeding types- below)
- Detritivores are orgaisms that eat dead material such as dead leaves.
- Decomposers decay the bodies of other orgaisms but do not eat them
Food Chains 4
Food chains show animals only eating one source of food- almost all animals eat a wide variety of food.
Animals in one environment appear in many food chains. One animal may link to several food chains forming a food web.