HUMANS USE FOLD MOUNTAINS for LOTS OF THINGS
1. FARMING: higher mountain slopes aren't great for growing crops so they're used to graze animals, e.g. mountain goats. Lower slopes are used to grow crops. Steep slopes are sometimes terraced to make growing crops easier.
2. HYDRO- ELECTRIC POWER (HEP): Steep sided mountains and high lakes (to store water) make fold mountains ideal for generating hydro- electric power.
3. MINING: Fold mountains are a major source of metal ores, so there's a lot of mining going on. The steep slopes make access to the mines difficult, so zig- zag roads have been carved out on the sides of some mountains to get to them.
4. FORESTRY: Fold mountain ranges are a good environment to grow some types of tree(e.g. conifers). They're grown on the steep valley slopes and are used for things like fuel, building materials, and to make things like paper and furniture.
5. TOURISM: Fold mountains have spectacular scenery, which attracts tourists. In winter, people visit to do skiing, snowboarding and ice climbing. In summer, walkers come to enjoy the scenery.