Why do rivers flood?
Causes of floods
- Flooding occurs when a river bursts its banks because it is carrying excess water.
- prolonged rain fall, heavy rain and snowmelt all increase the rivers load.
- Steep reliefs causes fast surface runoffs.
- Lack of vegetation to drink the water.
- Drainage basin consisting of non absorbant rock.
- drainage basin in an urban area, concrete doesnt absorb much water.
Frequency and location of flood events
- Becoming an annual occurance.
- when there are hide tides or snowmelts.
How and why do the effects of flooding and the res
Effects of flooding are due to:
- the size and location
- the country (MEDC or LEDC)
- effect LEDC's to a greater extent because the rely heavily on agriculture
Flooding can damage houses and possesions and may take people lives
The soil becomes very fertile and good for farming