( FAMILY DIVERSITY AND THE LIFE COURSE)THE NEW RIG
· MODERNISM AND THE NUCLEAR FAMILY
1) see the nuclear family as the best type
2) new right are conservative and anti-feminists
3) they oppose family diversity in divorce,cohabitation,single parent families, and step families as the cause of
· increase in crime
· and poor educational achievement
4) THEY SEE LONE PARENT FAMILIES AS unnatural for children and not good for children
5) And that women should not go out to work
6) And policies and laws should work to encourage the nuclear family for eg cutting benefits so it si difficult to be a lone parent .
critisms of FEMENISTS
- The nuclear family which the new right favour is based on partiachel and oppresion of women and encourages gender inequality.
- it also stops women from working keeping them finacially dependent on men.
- also argue that roles are not biologically fixed and the nuclear family is a negetive patriachel institution.
- others argue there is no evidence that single partents famiies want to be dependent or that they produce more deliquent children.
HAS THE FAMILY DIVERSITY INCREASED
ROBERT CHESTER SAYs NO
- Argues that it has not since most people spend most of thier time in thier nuclear family styles neo-conventional families.
- as eviedence of his view that very little has changed chester identifies a number of patterns.
1) most people live in a household headed by a married couple
2) most adults still mary and have children most children are reared by 2 natrual parents.
3) divorce has incresed but bu most divorscees remarry.
Rapports 5 types of family diversity
RAPPORT SAYS YES
the rapoports argue that family diversity has increased
1) social class-difference in structure due to