What's extreme about Antarctica?
- Where it is- it is located around the south pole, so you can't get more extreme than that. it's surrounded by the Antarctic Ocean.
- Its size- Antarctica is a continent. it has an area of 5 million square miles (8 million km2) thats one and a half times of the USA.
- The emptiness- Noone lived there at all until 1987, only scientists in research stations.
- The cold- it is below freezing (-60 degrees) in summer it can rise to 0 degrees.
- The wildnerness- there are hardly any buildings (apart from research stations). the natural, largely white lanscape is home to wildlife like penguins, especially along the coast line.
1 of 1