Adaptations Of Extreme Cold Houses
1. Steep roofs that allow snow to slide off without damaging the house
2. Poles lifting houses several meters above ground; this ensures that the permafrost does not melt
3. Triple Glazed windows and/or central heating for more technology advanced houses
Clothing Adaptations for Extreme Cold
1. Gore-tex and other new materials are in wide-spread use nowadays
2. Originally, caribou skin clothes and seal skin boots were used; this is because of their high insulation properties
Farming Adaptations in the Extreme Cold
1. Due to lack of sunlight for most of the year and very cold conditions, not many plants are grown.
2. As a result of this, people such as Alaskans hvae become adept fishers and animal hunters, as their main source of food.
Types of Culture in Extreme Cold
1. Yup'ik Totem Poles have attracted people to Alaska for many years
2. Inuit Whaling Ceremonioes are a contraversial topic of conversation, but are still allowed to do so by law
4. Iceland's Rotten shark was a traditional part of their heritage, but is now enjoyed as a commodity to celebrate their heritage