- Created by: MackenzieDearden
- Created on: 14-02-18 16:07
There are 3 factors of material deprivation:
- Diet and Health
- It is linked to household income
- If you don't have the resources you need you will find it more difficult to succeed in education
- This links to ethnicity because ethnic groups are more likely to suffer from material deprivation
1 of 3
- He believes that ethnic minorities are much more likely to face the problem of material deprivation.
- 1. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are over three times more likely than whites to be the poorest fifth of the population.
- 2. Unemployment is three times more likely for African and Bangladeshi/ Pakistani people than for whites.
- 3. 15% of ethnic minority households live in overcrowded conditions, compared with only 2% of white households.
- Pakistanis are nearly twice as likely to be in unskilled or semi-skilled jobs compared to whites. Ethnic minority workers are more likely to be engaged in shift work.
- Bangladeshi and Pakistani women are more likely to be engaged in low-paid homeworking, sometimes for as little as £1.50 per hour.
2 of 3
Free School Meals
- It is important to look at these results to determine the difference between different ethnicities for example 11% white British pupils have free school meals whereas 5% Bangladeshi pupils have free school meals. This shows that white British pupils are more privelliged than Bangladeshi pupils.
- It's ore important to highlight whether materail deprivation affects educational achievement.
- There are ethnic minorities that achieve highly therefore he might not be considering all factors.
- Some teachers may be racist, affecting their educational achievement.
- If a child goes to a bad school they're less likely to achieve highly.
- Some ethnic minorities may come from a high class backgriund meaning they'll have more opportunities and more more for resources.
3 of 3