First Explanation A01:
- 'Restraint model' - biological/homeostasis - by Herman and Mack (1975) - not eating increases probability of eating.....
- explained by Herman and Polivy 'boundary model' - hunger keeps eating above min and satiety keeps it below max - at a 'set point'
- in dieting - also a cognitive boundary - tf= 2(normal boundary) - 1 pysch and 1 cog
- cog boundary is lower/smaller than psych - if person crosses cog boundary they will keep going till satiety - this boundary may be longer due to increased hunger from restraint. = 'WHAT THE HELL' EFFECT (WTHE) - explains failed diets
Second Explanation A01:
- Denial - Wegner (1994) - psych effect causes diets to fail
- Shows this when ps who told not to think about a white bear rung a bell signifying they were thinking about one more than ps not told not to think about a white bear
- same effect when dieter try not to think about bad foods - become preoccupied -AKA THE IRONIC PROCESSES OF MENTAL CONTROL (TIPMC)
1 of 3
First explanation AO2:
- SGT - Herman andMack 1975 - dieters ate more ice cream than non-dieter after milkshake preload - but when no preload dieters at less ice cream than non-dieters = behavioural inhibition - ev. for WTHE - milkahsakes cross cog. bound.
- + lab = good control
- - less eco val. other environ. pressures e.g. social may cause different results
- WKN - 'boundary model' doesnt give details about emot/cog processes of WTHE
- WKN - doesn't explain minority of successful dieters
- WKN - reserch often unethical - ps told to lose weight but won't according to the theory - depressing
Second Explanation A02:
- SGT - more insight ot cog/emot processes of diet failure than Restraint model
- SGT - Soetens (2006) - dieters who overeat use denial more to suppress thoughts + so think more about food - TIPMC explains failure
2 of 3
AO3 - IDAs
- Nature vs Nurture - biological explanation for diet failure = genetic/neurological predetermined weight - 'set point weight' - if weight is lost hunger increases + metabolism slows to compensate and increase weight - IS PYSCH EXPLANAION REDUNDANT AS SCIENCE EXPLAINS ALL?
- deterministic? - can free will be ued if weight is already genetically predetermined?
- - BUT biolog expl is also deterministic - can't change weight regardless of diet......BUT if people know this then diets are more likely ot fail.
3 of 3