A function of PGs is political participation:
- This is where the public can participate in politics through finding out information from a PG about their cause.
- For example, doctors can participate in politics by joinging the BMA, to find out info about its cause: protecting wages and rights of doctors and medical students, and health issues,
- This way, doctors can protest and/or sign a petition about changing the contracts of junior doctors.
1 of 2
Another function of PGs is policy formulation:
- This is where PGs can participate in the policy making process.
- For example, insider groups, such as the BMA, work closely with the govt to create new laws concerning health and NHS workers,
- PGS advice the govt to educate them on what the people actually wants to happen, where representative democracy is in function.
2 of 2
Similar Government & Politics resources: