What is it?
Euthanasia = Ending life in a painless manor.
Legal in countries such as Netherlands, Switzerland...
Illegal in UK
Dignatas in Switzerland allows patients to die in dignity
They have strict rules as to who can go through with it and who cant
You can opt out at any time.
Reasons for Euthanasia:
- Everyone should have a right to say how they die
- Dying people should be able to choose Euthanasia. Quickly and humanly ends their suffering.
- Allows people to die in dignity
- Relieves pain of family, they dont have to watch their family member die a horrible way.
- Having someone on life support could be a unnecessary use of hospital equiptment, could be given to someone else.
- Keeping someone alive artificialy is unfair.
- If person kept alive quality of life would be affected.
Reasons against Euthanasia
- Accepting Euthanasia means disabled lives are worth less than others
- Doctors must try and preserve life
- Pain killers allow comfort so patient can still die in dignity
- Old/sick people may feel they are a burden so opt for Euthanasia even though they do not want to.
- Pointless loss of life if patient could make full recovery
- Alternatives such as hospices available
Christianity and Euthanasia
Do not agree with Eutahansia
Support Sanctity of Life
"Thou shall not kill" - Exodus
"Human life is a gift from God to be cherished and respected because very human being is created and respected because every human being is created in the image and likeness of God" -Genesis
"The lord gives and the lord has taken away" -Job
"Be not overly wicked, neither be a fool. Why should you die before your time?" -Ecclesiastes
Hospices - Alternative
- Palliative care
-Practical support for patient and family.
1967 Cecily Saunders founded hospice movement.
For Hospices; Against Hospices;
- Pain free - Reminder of death
- Natural death - Burden
-Comfortable - Slower death
- People in same position - Constant worry.
Christians might support. 'Love thy neighbour'. Agape