- NDE - near death experience
- OBE - outer body experience
- usually occurs to very religious people - Moses
- if you believe in god, miracles usually seem more obvious to you, whereas if you deny the existence of god miracles are harder to accept.
- some people believe god interferes everynow and then to help people in need.
- Non believers deny that god acts "randomly", if god was to make one miracle for one person in need, why not save the millions who died in the holocaust?
- Philosopher to remember - HUME
1 of 2
- a miracle is a violation of the laws of nature
- a firm and unalterable experience has established these laws
- 'That no testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact, which it endeavours to establish....'
- Hume's argument depends on the definition of a miracle as "a violation of the laws of nature," but these laws are established by "a firm and unalterable experience" against the occurrence of such violations.
2 of 2