Attitudes towards war
War is wrong becuase....
- In the 6th commandment it says "thou shall not murder"
- The proverbs state that God hates "hands that shed innocent blood"
- Jesus was a pacifist
- The message of Christ is "Peace and godwill to all men"; war goes against this
- jesus taught that those who live by the sword will die by the sword"- suggesting war is not the right way to live.
- Jesus taught "turn the other cheek"
- Jesus taught "love your enemies"; you cant do this if you are at war with them
- St Paul taught "overcome evil with good"- killing others at war is not "good"
War is correct becuase....
- The old testiment teaches that "the lord is a warrior"
- The "just war theory" suggests war is okay as long as certain terms are met:
- If its started by proper authority i.e. government not an army
- If it was started for a very good reason
- If the result means the "greater good" will come of it.
- If all forms of peaceful resolvment have been tried first
- If no unneccesary forms of violence of force are used
- If there is a reasonable chance of sucess
Holy War is when a religion goes to war to defend their beliefs; crusades
1 of 1