Essay Plan-Theme of Motherhood
Intro-A brief overview of this theme, key characters-Mrs Johnstone, Mrs Lyons, Linda; major theme, how brought up-social class, absent fathers.
1) Mrs Johnstone-'stone in place of heart'-Marilyn Monroe, debt, no job, absent father, 7 kids by the age of 25 etc.
2) Mrs Johnstone and Mrs Lyons, Mrs Johnstone=Predicament, Mrs Lyons=Desperation, use of persuasion, manipulation, song-my child
3) Mickey and Edward-Age 7, policemen, Mickey swears, Edward doesn't, opposites.
4) Mickey and Edward-Age 14, different upbringing, locket, cinema.
5) The final scene-Mrs Johnstone tells them that they're both hers.
Conclusion-Answer the question, social class (childhood pregnancy), absent fathers, good mother.