Factors Affecting Enzyme Action.
- Faster when warmer.
- Higher temp- molecules move faster (MORE FREQUENT SUCCESSFUL COLLISONS)
- Too hot enzymes will stope working. Active site will change shape. Become DENATURED.
- Works best at particular pH value, some in acid conditions (stomach) others neutral or alkaline conditions.
- If pH is too acidic or alkaline, active site will change shape and enzyme will become DENATURED.
Enzymes in Digestion
- Digestive enzymes produced by specialised cells in the glands and in the lining in the gut.
- Digestion involves breaking down large,insoluble molecules into smaller soluble molecules.
AMYLASE (a carbohydrase) produced by salivary glands,pancreas and small intestine. It catalyses the digestion of starch into sugar.
PROTEASE produced by stomach,pancreas& small intestine. Its catalyses breakdown of proteins into amino acids.
LIPASE produced by pancreas and small intestine. It catalyses breakdown of lipids (fats and oils) to fatty acids and GYLCERO.
Speeding Up Digestion.
PROTEASE enzymes in stomach work best in ACID conditions, gland in stomach wall produce hydrochloric acid (very acid conditions)
AMYLASE AND LIPASE (small intestines) work best if conditions are slighty ALKALINE
Liver produces BILE-stored in gall bladder.Alkaline bile is squirted into the small intestine and neutralises stomach acid. BILE makes conditions in small intestine slightly ALKALINE.