- entropy is a measure of the disorder in a system.
- particles are more energetically stable when there is more disorder. therefore, particles naturally move to try to increase the entropy.
- units are J Mol-1 K-1
- reference point for entropy is a perfect crystaline solid at 0K because it has zero entropy.
1 of 3
- energy can be measured in quanta
- the more energy quanta a substance has, the more ways they can be arranged and so the greater the entropy.
- sharing energy quanta increases the number of energy states. therefore the number of ways in which atoms and molecules can be arranged and their energy also increases.
2 of 3
- when a solid melts, there are more ways of distributing particles and energy so the entropy increases.
- melting beaks the sold structure so there is a rapid increase in entropy.
3 of 3