- Used in short duration, high in tenisity.
- availible for 10 seconds.
- Phosphocreatine breaks down into Pi + C + Energy.
- Energy is used to convert ADP into ATP
Lactate Anaerobic System
Once PC is depleted, the lactate anaerobic system regenerates ATP from Glucose.
- Glucose is stored in muscles and liver as glycogen.
- Glycogen has to be converted to glucose before it can be used.
Process is Glycolysis
- Glucose molecule is broken down into 2 molecules of pyruvic acid
- Which is converted into lactic acid by lactate dehydrogenase
- Energy released makes 2 molecules of ATP
Provides energy for high intensity activities lasting up to 3 minutes
Breaks Glucose into Carbon Dioxide and Water. The complete process can produce 38 molecules of ATP :
1) Glycolysis - Occurs in the presence of Oxygen. Lactic Acid is not produced and the pyruvic acid is converted into Acetyl Co A.
2) Krebs Cycle - Acetyl Co A bonds with oxaloacetic acid forming citric acid. Produces 2 molecules of ATP + CO2 and hydrogen, which is take into the ETC.
3) Electron Transport Chain - Hydrogen carried in by Hydrogen Carriers, occurs in cristae. Hydrogen splits into H+ and electrons. Hydrogen ions are oxidised to form water, electrons give energy to resynthesise ATP, 34 molecules of ATP are formed.
Glycogen to Glucose = 2 ATP, to Pyruvic Acid = Lactic Acid, to Acetyl Co A + Oxaloacetic Acid = Citric Acid + 2 ATP + CO2 + H2, into ETC, H2 = H+ + H2O + 34 ATP
States that in a game, all 3 energy system will be used, and energy systems will move from one to another.