- National Security
- Economic Growth/Trade
- Spread Ideology
- Expand Territory
1 of 4
Breakdown of the Spanish alliance
- 1560-relationship worsened
- Trade war between England and the Netherlands
- Tensions increase D of Alva arrives in Netherlands
- Tensions increased by trade issues in N World.
- 1568-Incident at San Juan. Drake attacked by Spanish. (SEADOGS-Pirates with Queens authority)
War With Spain.
- 1585-Treaty of Nonsuch. Alliance with Dutch against Spanish. (7000 men under Leicster. Defensive. No to crush Spain)
- Leictsers Campaign "Inglorius but effective" Sloan.
- 1585-6 Drake leads an expedition it W.Indies to attack Spanish treasure fleet.
- 1587- Cadiz, delayed Armada by a year. Singed king of Spains beard.
- 1588 - ARMADA.
2 of 4
Counterbalance to the threat of Spain
Bad- Domestic opion, Hugenots, Don't wnat France becoming too powerful.
- 1570- Marriage negotiations between Eliz and Anjou. Full military alliance in view
- 1572- Treaty of Blois. Defensive alliance, French want more.(ALLIANCE ENDS ST BARTHOLEMS DAY MASSACCRE.)
- 1575-Treaty of Blois renewed
- 1579-Marriage negotiations with Anjou renewed.
- Mid 1580's- Alliance with Hugenots not French. Treaty Of Jainville alliance between Spanish and Guise.
- 1589-Full alliance with French (Henry IV Hugenot)
3 of 4
1562- Uneasy Peace
4 of 4